Last night, The National Ballet of Canada premiered its latest masterpiece, Carmen. Finally being shown in its entirety since its partial debut in 2006, Davide Bombana’s re-imagining of Bizet’s classic tragedy is an electrifying mix of raw sexuality and awe-inspiring dance. Stripped of the original’s bombastic flamenco associations, Carmen is one minimalist wow from start to finish. At last night’s opening performance, real-life husband and wife team Guillaume Côté and Heather Ogden played the passionate on-again-off-again lovers Don Jose and Carmen. As you can imagine, their chemistry was off the charts, especially with otherworldly leaps through each others legs, arms and so on.
Previous to opening night, photographer Daniel Neuhaus caught Côté, Ogden and the rest of the cast including Jiří Jelinek and his newly-affixed devil horns, in candid mode as they prepped at the dress rehearsal and joked around backstage. Flip through for just a sliver of what goes into such an impressive production.
Carmen runs through June 16, 2013 at The National Ballet of Canada. To purchase tickets, visit national.ballet.com.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Awards show hair and makeup: The Beauty Panel recreates their favourite red carpet looks
- Nail trends to know now: Essie’s Rita Remark reveals the top polish colours for 2014
- A Dozen Girls: Juergen Teller shoots Nicolas Ghesquière’s first collection for Louis Vuitton
- Street Style, Paris: 21 shots from outside the last day of fashion week
- Paris Fashion Week: The top 10 pieces you need to add to your shopping list for Fall 2014