MET Gala predictions: Our 10 favourite looks of the past and guesses for what the A-list might wear this year
It’s been a couple of months since the last big red carpet event and let’s face it: what is fashion without the red carpet? Since May is just around the corner, this only means the biggest fashion event of the year, the annual Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala in New York. This year’s exhibit, PUNK: Chaos to Couture, will feature around designs for both men and women focusing on the evolution of punk’s influence in the world of fashion since the birth of its movement in the 1970s to its present day.
With punk theme as the focus, who better than to have punk’s latest muse, actress Rooney Mara, and Givenchy designer Riccardo Tisci as this year’s co-chairs alongside Anna Wintour and Moda Operandi’s Lauren Santo Domingo? Not usually associated with punk, Beyonce was named Honourary Chair of the event as if her show-stopping Givenchy dress at last year’s MET Gala was not enough of a reason to be given this honour.
So who could we expect to see on the red carpet this year? Rumour has it Kristen Stewart, Gwen Stefani, and Emma Watson are on the guest list. But would we see younger sister Solange Knowles there to support Beyonce? And how about recent Oscar winners Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hathaway? With the MET Gala red carpet to be live streamed again this year, we’ll be in the comfort of our own home on May 6. But in the meantime, let’s look back and reminisce on our favourite MET Gala red carpet looks starting with no other than Queen Bey herself:
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Forget family heirlooms! Kate Middleton pairs a $40 Zara necklace with a Roland Mouret gown
- Introducing Gwen Stefani by OPI: From Swarovski nail art to a new mirror-finish polish, all the details on this collab
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Check out what you can win in our third annual holiday contest!
- Holiday makeup: 8 Beauty Panel tips on getting party-ready in a flash
- Best holiday nail art: 16 fun and festive tutorials that’ll make your nails shine