From the unstoppable Courtin-Clarins girls to the out-of-control Proenza Schouler show, we count the top 10 trends and moments of New York Fashion Week
1. The cinematic soundtrack: Fashion, as always, is a symptom of what’s around us, and the beats on the speakers at the shows were as good a judge as any. From the Downton Abbey theme at Ralph Lauren, to the Drive soundtrack EVERYWHERE, to Lana Del Rey at Tommy Hilfiger, the scene was everywhere to be seen and heard.
2. Red: It was everywhere—and I mean everywhere—in full spectrum. From its bright primary hue on full-length gowns and fur-collared overcoats at Michael Kors, to the slightly orange tinge on collared dresses at Marc by Marc Jacobs, to the oxblood leather motojackets at Diesel Black Gold, to the rich wine leather and fur–combo coats at DKNY. And so on. And so on.
3. Proenza Schouler: Jack and Lazaro always turn out a top-notch collection, but this tough-girl trip to the East—complete with bird brocades on silk varsity jackets—was truly something else. Maybe it was being there that put me over the gushy edge, but what can I say, I’m a biased girl!
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue