Vickie Laliotis, 28
Edmonton | Adventures in Fashion
The prospect of incorporating vintage into your wardrobe can be daunting for those who have never done so, but there’s no reason why you can’t take baby steps when trying out the trend. Head-to-toe vintage looks can be difficult to master, especially when trying to keep one foot rooted in contemporary style as you nod to decades past. That’s why I think accessories are the best way to incorporate vintage into your look; it’s a fun, inexpensive way to add dimension while still ensuring a one-of-a-kind appeal. Because really, in this tangle of mass-store offerings, isn’t a little dose of individuality exactly what we’re all craving?
When trying your hand at vintage fashion, nothing beats a great bag or piece of jewellery, with scarves, sunglasses and shoes coming in at a close second. Your local thrift and consignment stores are ripe with options, with garage and estate sales — as well as antique shops and auctions — scoring high on the hidden treasure–potential list. So next time you have the option to dig around a thrift store bin or check out your local antique dealer, you never know what you might find; maybe even a little YSL clutch for $4 like I did… May the thrifting odds be ever in your favour!
Vickie’s wearing: Dress and blazer, H&M. Belt, vintage. Shoes, Zara. Leather clutch, vintage Yves Saint Laurent. Watch, Michael Kors.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable
- How to dress for a wedding: 13 Style Panel Tips for being the best dressed guest this summer