Kristin MacDonald, 27
Fredericton | Doll Parade
I am going pretty gaga over the oversized trend though it proves difficult to wear for a petite girl of 5’3″ who can’t just wear anything with the grace of a gazelle. Enter this semi-pleated lantern skirt. Though the photo may not do it full justice, this skirt is kind of enormous. Trickily enough, though, it sits high on the waist that I can still keep part of my silhouette when wearing it, which is what ultimately sold me on the shape. I threw in my boyfriend blazer for good measure and paired my oversized items with a neutral silk blouse, tying it haphazardly at the waist so that I wasn’t swimming in a sea of fabric.
Small details like a simple knot can change the entire shape of a blouse, designating at least one focal point to this otherwise completely too-big-on-purpose kind of outfit. Next up: finding a cocoon coat with pillow sleeves that is not to my ankles. Mission accepted.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Forget family heirlooms! Kate Middleton pairs a $40 Zara necklace with a Roland Mouret gown
- Introducing Gwen Stefani by OPI: From Swarovski nail art to a new mirror-finish polish, all the details on this collab
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Check out what you can win in our third annual holiday contest!
- Holiday makeup: 8 Beauty Panel tips on getting party-ready in a flash
- Best holiday nail art: 16 fun and festive tutorials that’ll make your nails shine